Saturday, December 29, 2007

Cochon

Perhaps it is a bit strange to start a blog called "Nola Nosh" with a posting about Cochon (French for "pig"). But I felt an obligation to begin with my favorite spot in New Orleans. When my mom came down for a visit, I had a lot of trouble convincing her that this was the place we needed to go. Sure, the menu includes such items as ham hocks, cracklin, boudin, and pig's ears, but trust me on this one.

Not convinced? Walk in on a weekend night and I will give you ten dollars for every open table. Luckily, unlike other local favorites (cough...Jaques-imo's....cough) Cochon takes reservations.

Upon walking through the door you are greeted with an incredible scent of the wood burning oven. Imagine your favorite barbecue joint, but the lights are dim, obviously a bit more upscale, and cloth napkins replace the paper towel roll on your table.

I can honestly say that I have never had anything bad from this place. The Gumbo (finished with a dollop of potato salad) is one of the best in New Orleans. The smoked turkey served with a sweet potato hash was the best I have ever had. And this is what makes Cochon my favorite place. The menu doesn't contain your usual filet mignon, Chilean sea bass, or chicken breast. In fact, you will find none of these on the menu at all. The menu consists of Cochon du lait, ham hocks, smoked turkey, brisket, meat pies, etc.

Not only do these unorthodox ingredients make for an interesting dinner, but for a more affordable one too. A gourmet dinner of ham hocks will cost you a lot less than that same old filet.

No comments: